Keep Calm & Plant On

Hi, I’m Meg! I’m one of the work-study students in the garden, and as a senior, this will my third season. I started volunteering in the garden the spring of my sophomore year, as I was just getting more interested in sustainable food production and the local food scene in Lewisburg. Little did I know that getting involved in the garden and Community Harvest, the hot meal program to which most of the produce in the garden is donated, has been one of my favorite parts of my Bucknell experience, and that I would even spend the next 2 summers in Lewisburg working in the garden.

As anyone who is friends with me on snapchat knows, the 2016 season of the garden has begun!!! For everyone else, don’t worry, I’ll keep you updated here. It’s been so exciting to begin preparations for a full season of gardening this spring and summer. Over the past couple of weeks, we’ve been starting seedlings in the Rooke biology building greenhouse, destined for both the garden directly and our plant sale in May, a big fundraiser for the LCG. So far, we have artichokes, onions, celery, peppers, and a few different types of flowers growing-and there will be many more to come!

Normally I don’t like to spend any more time in Rooke than I have to (and as a bio major, it’s quite a lot)-in my mind it’s reserved for the academic stress of my bio and chem classes. But the 4th floor greenhouse is the perfect escape from any sort of stress Bucknell brings. Not only is it one of the most peaceful places on campus, but getting your hands in the dirt and playing with plants to help them grow is an awesome stress reliever, in my opinion. Needless to say, the beginning of the garden season is bringing many good things!